IoT Security Post-COVID:
“Collaboration is our greatest armory."
In this podcast, David is joined by Dr. Sally Eaves, Senior Policy Advisor for the Global Foundation, Experienced CTO, Professor in Advanced Technology and Global Strategic Advisor. Sally and David examine the impact COVID-19 has had on both our professional and personal lives and the crucial role security has played in this adaptation. They also discuss how the narrative around security has to change and the key role collaboration plays in the future of IoT security.
As the sophistication of security attacks gets greater and greater, we need to do the same from a defense point of view. I think collaboration is the greatest armory we have to be able to do that.
Key talking points in this episode:
- Introduction to Dr. Sally Eaves. [1:05]
- Technology as a cause for good. [2:32]
- The emergence of hybrid models over the last 12 months, in all aspects of everyday life, and the impact this has had on IoT security. [3:18]
- Has COVID-19 raised awareness of the cyber threat? [7:16]
- Companies are changing how they approach digital transformation and security: CFOs, CEOs and CTOs are leading security discussions and acting as positive agents of change. [9:30]
- The role the tech industry has in improving cyber-security education in schools and organizations. [12:09]
- “Security has to be embedded in every aspect of organizational strategy”. [13:28]
- The PSA Certified 2021 Security Report: is it a surprise that smaller companies are struggling to implement best practice security? [14:22]
- The growing security skills shortage and the misconceptions around IoT security access and cost. [17:08]
- 5G and other emerging technologies offer a wealth of possibilities, but this needs to be underpinned by robust security infrastructure. [21:12]
- What are the biggest challenges for CTOs and CIOs on the digital transformation journey? [22:46]
- The importance of changing the narrative around security- it's a differentiator that can enable the future of your organization and should be embedded into the DNA of every business. [25:18]
- What is the future going to look like in 5 years' time? The power of collaboration as a positive contagion of change for security and climate change. [27:18]
- Bridging the gap between the perceptions of IoT security and the reality: “collaboration is our greatest armory”. [29:12]
- Sally’s main piece of advice for companies when approaching IoT security: your security strategy needs to be “holistic, flexible and scalable”. [31:07]